Bath Half has teamed up with local fitness training provider, Vibe Fitness to create a free workshop that will encourage […]
Monday, February 19, 2018
This week we have been catching up with Lil Morris. In March 2016 Lil began running with the intention of […]
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Runners at the 2017 Bath Half set a new personal best record by raising over £2.25million for our official race […]
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Runners’ Village – weather related restrictions
February 14, 2014 // Rachel Ellis
The weather continues to be very wet and the spell of dry weather that we were hoping for just isn’t materialising (as if we have to tell our runners that!)
The assembly area in the runners’ village is on grass playing pitches – it is used for a number of other sports which leads to cumulative damage and unfortunately in weather like this it drains very poorly, and we’ve got waterlogging (standing water) in some areas, in locations where we we planning to build marquees to house some of our facilities.
At this stage we’re left with a tough decision of how we can make the site as usable as possible for our runners on race day – the last thing we want is for you to be completely swamped in mud before you start the race. We’re also mindful of our responsibility to minimise damage to the playing pitches for other subsequent users.
After much consideration we reluctantly feel that we have no option but to reduce the facilities offered on site by removing the massage and retail facilities from the village. Removing 2 larger marquees will reduce the amount we have to build on the more waterlogged areas on the ground and construction traffic as we set the village up for you, it will also free up additional circulation space for pedestrians around the site. So this year we can’t offer either a massage or retail facility.
We will have trackway on the main pedestrian routes across the Runners’ Village, which helps protect the pitches and reduce mud on your shoes, but if ground conditions continue to deteriorate we will take the further decision to restrict access to the village to competitors only (no spectators) for the busiest period before the race start.
This decision will be taken on Thurs 27th Feb after the trackway is installed. We will communicate our decision to race entrants via our race week newsletter. We’ll also post details on our website and social media streams, so please watch for further details.