Chris Thompson and Kate Reed win 2019 Bath Half Marathon The award-winning Bath Half Marathon returned to the streets of […]
Sunday, March 17, 2019
This year we are encouraging runners to bring your own reusable water bottle to the event, your favourite bottle which […]
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Bishop Fleming, the title partner for the 2019 Bath Half Marathon has pledged to help 20 Bath Half runners with […]
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Runners’ Village – weather related restrictions
February 14, 2014 // Rachel Ellis
The weather continues to be very wet and the spell of dry weather that we were hoping for just isn’t materialising (as if we have to tell our runners that!)
The assembly area in the runners’ village is on grass playing pitches – it is used for a number of other sports which leads to cumulative damage and unfortunately in weather like this it drains very poorly, and we’ve got waterlogging (standing water) in some areas, in locations where we we planning to build marquees to house some of our facilities.
At this stage we’re left with a tough decision of how we can make the site as usable as possible for our runners on race day – the last thing we want is for you to be completely swamped in mud before you start the race. We’re also mindful of our responsibility to minimise damage to the playing pitches for other subsequent users.
After much consideration we reluctantly feel that we have no option but to reduce the facilities offered on site by removing the massage and retail facilities from the village. Removing 2 larger marquees will reduce the amount we have to build on the more waterlogged areas on the ground and construction traffic as we set the village up for you, it will also free up additional circulation space for pedestrians around the site. So this year we can’t offer either a massage or retail facility.
We will have trackway on the main pedestrian routes across the Runners’ Village, which helps protect the pitches and reduce mud on your shoes, but if ground conditions continue to deteriorate we will take the further decision to restrict access to the village to competitors only (no spectators) for the busiest period before the race start.
This decision will be taken on Thurs 27th Feb after the trackway is installed. We will communicate our decision to race entrants via our race week newsletter. We’ll also post details on our website and social media streams, so please watch for further details.