Cold weather alert

February 26, 2018 // Rachel Ellis


Update Friday 2 March 3pm

Latest update: SUNDAY’S BATH HALF MARATHON IS CANCELLED

Following a further meeting this afternoon with Bath & North East Somerset Council, the Police and other agencies, we are announcing with deep regret that unfortunately the race on Sunday will not now go ahead.  The City of Bath was affected by heavy snowfall yesterday afternoon and evening, with further snow and freezing temperatures forecast to continue through to Sunday.

Runner, spectator and volunteer safety is paramount for us and with the current road and pavement conditions we cannot guarantee safety underfoot.  In addition, due to conditions on the national highways network, a number of our key contractors and suppliers are unable to guarantee delivery of critical services on Sunday.

We have been hoping for the best all week, and up until yesterday morning we’d still not had any snow in Bath.  But yesterday’s snowfall, the forecast outlook, and the impact on available resources due to the Major Incident declared last night by the Police, plus loss of critical contractors and suppliers, and freezing conditions forecast for participants and volunteer has left us with no option but to cancel the event.  This is not a decision we have made lightly, we are experienced organisers and we have never had to cancel the event before, so as you can imagine we are as devastated as the runners that we have had to make this decision. We are feeling really sorry for all the runners that have trained and fundraised for their charities.

Sadly, it is not possible to simply postpone the race to a future date.  A big ‘closed road’ participation event such as ours can’t be easily re-scheduled, it is not like re-booking a spectator event in a fixed venue.  To re-schedule we would need to re-run stakeholder consultations, road closures, public notice periods, re-book specialist contractors and volunteers which takes a huge amount of forward planning to organise.  Also any new date might not suit participants who have specifically prepared for 4 March

We will be offering all registered entrants a full refund on their race entry.  There is no need for runners to contact us to request a refund and we will endeavour to process refunds as soon as we possibly can. Please bear with us while we work with our registration providers to get an automated refund process in place.  A further announcement updating runners on the status and timing of refunds will be issued next week.

Thank you for all your patience and support. It’s been a tough few days here at Bath Half HQ and as ever the support of our runners, our race charities and our volunteers really makes a difference. Thank you.

Message from Bath & North East Somerset Council

Councillor Bob Goodman, Cabinet member for Development and Neighbourhoods, at Bath & North East Somerset Council said  “We understand the organisers of the Bath Half Marathon have made the decision to cancel the race following advice from safety officers and the police. While the race is an important and valued fixture in the city’s calendar of events, the safety of runners, visitors and volunteers has to be the number one priority. The current weather forecast is for further snow, going into the weekend. This means advice from police and highways agencies is still the same  – please keep off the roads unless it is an essential journey. The organiser’s decision sensibly avoids also putting additional pressures on stretched services such as the council’s gritting team, the police and the NHS and this allows them to continue to focus on maintaining essential services across the whole of the area during the severe weather.”

*************************************

Update 11.30am Friday 2 March

Current situation – The Bath Half

Thank you for your patience. As many of you will know, the snow finally came to Bath yesterday evening. Since first light this morning we have been working with our colleagues in the local authority, police and other agencies, and our contractors and suppliers. Our aim is to assess whether we can safely operate the Bath Half on Sunday morning. Currently we are inspecting the course route, Park & Rides and the Runners Village to see whether there is any chance that the race will go ahead. Our efforts this morning have been hindered by the travel warning issued for Bath, and the various incidents (including the Major Incident last night declared by the police) that the authorities are currently responding to. Cancelling the race is not a trivial decision for us and we need to make it with the help and expertise of our colleagues in the local authority and emergency services, and our contractors. We are aware that a decision either way on this will upset many of our runners who have trained so hard and raised so much money for our race charities. Please bear with us while look at all the factors we need to look at now the snow has arrived in Bath. We will meet again with all the relevant authorities at 1pm and update you of our decision as soon as we have concluded that meeting. Thank you everyone for your support.

************************************

Update 5.15pm Thur 1 Mar

Current Situation – The Bath Half

We have been closely monitoring the weather through the day, as weather conditions have worsened with significant snowfall this afternoon, plus heavier snow and freezing rain forecast for Bath overnight and tomorrow.

In light of these worsening conditions and following further consultation with Bath & North East Somerset Council, Avon & Somerset Police and other agencies we will review tomorrow if the event will proceed.

We will make a further announcement to all runners at 3 pm tomorrow (Friday 2nd March) on the status of the race.

The weather situation is changing.  We are continuing to monitor the weather forecast closely, and we will post any updates or changes here on our website, and on our Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as they are available.

Thank you for your patience.

********************************

Update 12.30pm Thurs 1 March

Current Situation – The Bath Half

We are currently planning that the Bath Half will go ahead as scheduled on Sunday.

We’ve had a light dusting of snow this morning, and more light snow is currently forecast through today and tomorrow, with an outside possibility of heavier snow tomorrow, but better weather conditions are forecast for Sunday. We are working closely with Bath & North East Somerset Council and have resources and contingency plans in place to cope with the current weather conditions, to ensure our event proceeds as planned.

All decisions will be based entirely on the safety of runners, spectators and volunteers. This remains our absolute priority.

The weather situation is changing. We are continuing to monitor the weather forecast closely, and we will post any updates or changes here on this page, and on our Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as they are available.

Runners and spectators should keep an eye on their own local travel reports, and may need to allow extra time for their journey, or to consider alternative travel arrangements. If you need to cancel your entry and notify us in advance we can offer you an extended period for a discounted Early Bird entry for 2019.

We are aware that some parts of other UK are currently experiencing far more challenging weather than we have had in Bath to date.

Runners, spectators and volunteers are recommended to wrap up warmly, wear sensible footwear, bring extra layers and take additional precautions for these unseasonably wintery conditions. We suggest you bring an old top (or hoodie) to wear on your way up to the start pens, which you can leave on the side of the start, and will be recycled by one of our charities.

We will use this webpage and our Facebook and Twitter pages to post updates on weather related information.

Runners should also look put for any emails from us. Volunteers and charity partners will be notified directly by us in the event of any changes

***********************************

Monday 26 Feb 11am

Cold Weather Alert

The Bath Half Marathon will be going ahead as planned on Sunday.

We are monitoring the weather forecast closely, anticipating continuing wintery conditions this week. We have contingency plans and resources in the event of significant snow fall to ensure our event proceeds as planned.

Runners and spectators should keep an eye on travel reports, and may need to allow extra time for their journey, or to consider alternative travel arrangements.

Runners and spectators should dress according to the weather.

We will use our website Facebook and Twitter @bathhalf to post updates on weather related information throughout the week.

 

TRAVEL AND WEATHER REPORTS

Highways Agency England Traffic Information

For infor­ma­tion on other roads in Eng­land please visit your Local Author­ity

Public Transport South West Traveline 

Weather Reports Met Office

Weather Reports for mobile phones Met Office