Bath Rugby Foundation is Bath Rugby’s charity and our purpose is to empower vulnerable children and young people in Bath and the surrounding area to succeed.
Bath is a city famed for its Roman baths, impressive Georgian architecture, Jane Austen – and of course its rugby club. However, behind the Georgian façade lies a different story.
- 8,154 children in B&NES are on the breadline.
- This is almost 20% of children, rising to 31% in Radstock and 35% in Twerton.
- Twerton West is in the top 10% most deprived areas in the UK.
- Whiteway is in the bottom 1% in the country in its provision of education and training for children & young people.
- 3,521 children receive Free School Meals. When they are not in school their nutrition suffers.
- B&NES is ranked 146 out of 150 LEA’s in the country with an attainment gap of 31% against a national average of 20%.
- This means at the end of primary, poorer pupils are already 9.5 months behind their more affluent peers stretching to 19.3 months by the end of secondary school.
We don’t believe it is right that such inequality exists in our city. Bath Rugby Foundation exists to bridge the gap between the poorest and most affluent areas, and build a positive, supportive community in Bath and the surrounding area.
We believe every child and every young person in Bath and North East Somerset deserves an equal opportunity and the same chance to succeed.
Every year Bath Rugby Foundation works with around 3,000 youngsters who’ve had the toughest start in life.
Our programmes focus on key areas of need in our community – Education, Inclusion and Employability. The children we work with are born into poverty, have a Special Educational Need or Disability, or are excluded because of their race or gender.
We target young people in their everyday environments – whether in the park, at school or in the street. Bath Rugby Foundation gets involved where the need is greatest and our staff use the combined power of sport and education to motivate, raise self-esteem and increase confidence.
We improve life skills using the values of teamwork, loyalty, discipline and respect and work at The Rec, in schools, community centres and parks. We deliver mental, social, physical, wellbeing and employment programmes.
Our participants leave with raised confidence, and new life skills, part of the Bath Rugby family.
You can find out more on our website, or follow us on social media, we are @BathRugbyFoundation on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram and @BR_Foundation on Twitter.
Bath Half Fundraising History
Bath Rugby Foundation has now been an official charity partner of the Bath Half Marathon for 7 years and in this time have raised a total figure of £139,960 from fundraising at this event.